esun petg

The place to discuss filament...
jimc

Re: esun petg

Post by jimc » Wed May 27, 2015 8:05 pm

Ehhh its not too bad to remove unless you print support at 50% or something really high. I try to not go over 30%. It just doesnt come off like pla. Atleast for me. It take a little more effort. I personally hate support on any kind if plastic though. I avoid it at all cost. I would rather split my models into pieces and bond them together. Everything comes out nicer that way.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed May 27, 2015 9:39 pm

You are going to hate my latest print then Jim (Pics to follow once post print finishing done) It was a nightmare of support and failed prints. In retrospect I wish I had done exactly what you said and cut it in half. Future prints will definitely get that treatment.

I will say that S3D support system has given me a far higher success rate with support structures.

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Thu May 28, 2015 1:07 am

jimc, it's been a while since I frequented the S3D forum. I used to see you there often. Do you know if anyone has suggested to them that S3D should automate the process of splitting a model in half, adding alignment holes, etc.?

jereywolf

Post by jereywolf » Thu May 28, 2015 1:12 am

About gluing PETG, I picked up some WeldOn 4 (because of Jimc's advice) but I didn't really like how thin it was. I wanted it to take up more space.
I dissolved some PETG scraps with the solvent in a glass jar and got a jam like consistency.It seems to work really well so far.
It has lumps in it just like jam, which isn't what I wanted, but it's alright.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu May 28, 2015 1:42 am

weld on or methylene chloride is extremely thin and is supposed to be applied with 28ga or smaller needle applicator bottles. not sure if you got one of those or not. it needs to be super thin like that because the parts are supposed to be assembled then you run the needle over the joint and the solvent wicks between the 2 pieces. its not really meant to be a gap filler. if it was thick it would not suck in between the 2 halves.

dale, i dont recall anyone ever suggesting that but didnt makerbot file for a patent a few months back for integrating that automatic feature into their software? i remember something about it but dont recall what ever happened to that.

jereywolf

Post by jereywolf » Thu May 28, 2015 2:47 am

I did get a few of the applicator bottles and tried to use it like that, but the pieces I was trying to glue were not both completely flat. Actually one surface was printed flat on the bed and the other was printed over support.
When I used the glue straight from the bottle it didn't have enough contact to bond the pieces.
I don't have a good photo of the print, but here is my model. There are two tabs that slide into the back of each pendant. The slot in the pendant had to print over support, so it didn't leave a clean flat surface.
I just found the Weld On "medium body" stuff in a tube. I really liked using a thick ABS/acetone mix when I printed mainly with ABS.
Attachments
Ciri belt render 1.PNG
Ciri belt render 1.PNG (186.83 KiB) Viewed 10575 times

intservo

Post by intservo » Fri May 29, 2015 3:18 pm

Guys, if you have a rough guess of how many black/white/green/orange petg you like to get, please shoot me an email admin@intservo.com I just need to plan. Your guys have high priority. Just a guess number. no strings tied :) Thanks, William

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat May 30, 2015 12:46 am

I'm thinking at least one of each.....possibly two. Thanks william. :D

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Sat May 30, 2015 4:44 am

Can I just say again how happy I am with the white PETG. I am doing another set of prints in it and it doesn't string - it prints whiter than the pla filament and its flexible and strong .... great stuff

PcS

Post by PcS » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:51 pm

William has some black petg on amazon if anyone needs more . And a shipment with new colors due in next week which he says should normalize supply. I grabbed some for review on amazon. Looking forward to the surprise of new colors. Lol