esun petg

The place to discuss filament...
Bratag

Re: esun petg

Post by Bratag » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:28 pm

You and me both. I have moved almost exclusively to printing in petg now so gotta feed the beast :)

grifftech

Post by grifftech » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:44 am

Hi all! Brand new to this page. I came across this thread searching for "settings for ESUN PETG". I just got a roll in of the blue and am trying to figure out the best settings for it. Mainly because I am using a PEI build plate and was hoping someone else may be doing the same thing and could pick their brain. I am using Simplify3D and about the only way I can get it to stick to the PEI is 250C hot end and 50C bed and using a raft. For some reason the raft that Simplify builds puts down a thick first layer which sticks well, but I need to try to figure out how to translate that into the first layer of a normal print without a raft.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:51 am

i have never tried pei and havent heard how well it works with petg. petg sticks great to a hairspray treated bed. you really should not need a raft with pet. the stuff barely warps. you really need to get your first layer dialed in so you get 100% contact with your build surface. pet does not like to be squished onto the surface. if you do it just collects on the nozzle. i did respond to your post on the s3d forum about your bed adjustment. what printer are you running? an m2?

grifftech

Post by grifftech » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:07 am

jimc wrote:i have never tried pei and havent heard how well it works with petg. petg sticks great to a hairspray treated bed. you really should not need a raft with pet. the stuff barely warps. you really need to get your first layer dialed in so you get 100% contact with your build surface. pet does not like to be squished onto the surface. if you do it just collects on the nozzle. i did respond to your post on the s3d forum about your bed adjustment. what printer are you running? an m2?
I am running a Prusa i3. Collecting on the nozzle is what I am getting. I had my bed set to where I could drag the piece of paper between the bed and nozzle and it barely catches on the nozzle. But when I try to print with this PETG it just piles up on the nozzle. I have even slowed down to like 20mm/s

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:41 am

yes your printing too close. the width of the extrusion on the first layer should equal what you have your extrusion width set to in s3d. right now it sould like your too tight and its just smearing all over. pet is sticky so any amt sticking up from either over extrusion or printing too close will end up on the nozzle.

PcS

Post by PcS » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:54 am

It will stick fine at 70c bed temp and 255c extruder. If it doesn't stick look to make sure your first layer bead is squished slightly.If not relevel bed and adjust z height.

grifftech

Post by grifftech » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:45 pm

PcS wrote:It will stick fine at 70c bed temp and 255c extruder. If it doesn't stick look to make sure your first layer bead is squished slightly.If not relevel bed and adjust z height.
Dumb question but won't adjusting my Z height around all 4 corners level my bed in relation to the X carriage?

PcS

Post by PcS » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:14 pm

You can level all four corners of your bed and still have an incorrect z height .

grifftech

Post by grifftech » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:25 pm

PcS wrote:You can level all four corners of your bed and still have an incorrect z height .
What do you mean by Z height? The home distance from the bed to the nozzle?

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:35 pm

grifftech wrote:
PcS wrote:You can level all four corners of your bed and still have an incorrect z height .
What do you mean by Z height? The home distance from the bed to the nozzle?
That's right. If the bed at the "Z-home" position is not close enough to the nozzle, the first layer gets air-printed, and it deforms and won't stick. If it is too close, the first layer gets smashed and it can cause a ridged first layer when the plastic has no where to go except out the sides.

With PETG, it really does stick to itself, so when the nozzle drags over the previous layer, it can hit those ridges and pick up wads of goo that fall off later. You likely have the nozzle too close to the bed on the first layer.