esun petg

The place to discuss filament...
grifftech

Re: esun petg

Post by grifftech » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:40 pm

Jules wrote:
grifftech wrote:
PcS wrote:You can level all four corners of your bed and still have an incorrect z height .
What do you mean by Z height? The home distance from the bed to the nozzle?
That's right. If the bed at the "Z-home" position is not close enough to the nozzle, the first layer gets air-printed, and it deforms and won't stick. If it is too close, the first layer gets smashed and it can cause a ridged first layer when the plastic has no where to go except out the sides.

With PETG, it really does stick to itself, so when the nozzle drags over the previous layer, it can hit those ridges and pick up wads of goo that fall off later. You likely have the nozzle too close to the bed on the first layer.
I bought some feeler gauges and am going to get it set right

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:22 am

grifftech wrote:I bought some feeler gauges and am going to get it set right......
Makes a huge difference! :D

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:57 am

I usually squish my first layer for better bed adhesion. Sometimes I do it more than other times, but I don't think I ever literally make my first layer as narrow as my extrusion width setting.

grifftech

Post by grifftech » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:18 am

I think I have it figured out. I run about 175% first layer height with 175% first layer width and first layer speed at 30% and it gives me a nice solid first layer that sticks amazingly well to my PEI bed at 80C. Once it cools to about 40C it pops right off

intservo

Post by intservo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:08 pm

Just a quick update. PETG black/white are on the way to Amazon and should be available tomorrow there. All prime eligible. If you are on east side of Mississippi river and can't wait, you can get on intservo.com and I think I can beat prime on this :)

Green/Orange will be two days later.

Thanks,
William

grifftech

Post by grifftech » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:36 pm

I have given up on this ESun PETG for awhile, it is just a gloppy stringy mess for me. I switched back to MadeSolid PET+ and that stuff prints beautifully!! Wish I could figure out the ESun PETG, mainly for its price point

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:02 pm

The made solid pet+ prints as easy as any pla for me but layer adhesion was no where near the esun petg . Petg in general is a little harder to print but once you figure it out the benefits are definitely worth it .

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:11 pm

grifftech wrote:I have given up on this ESun PETG for awhile, it is just a gloppy stringy mess for me. I switched back to MadeSolid PET+ and that stuff prints beautifully!! Wish I could figure out the ESun PETG, mainly for its price point
So strange - I had nothing but trouble with madeSolids white PET+ (the other colors print fine) but with eSUNS white and black its as easy to print as pla. What settings, hotend etc are you using?

jereywolf

Post by jereywolf » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:55 pm

I've been having a rough time with my PETG prints, stopping extrusion or jamming...

Even before a print, if I tell the machine to extrude manually, I can start the filament in, but then it will just stop; as if there is a tension problem (maybe too much, maybe not enough).
But if I push the filament by hand (in an effort to help it along) as the extruder gear is turning, it starts moving again just fine. I've started out 5 hour prints like and had them finish just fine, but I've also had a lot of air prints too.

It's happened with Natural and Black. Even directly after purging cleaner filament through the barrel and soaking the nozzle in paint stripper over night.

I also think that my only functional V4 may be slightly bent from a time that I removed the nozzle while it was still on the machine....maybe that has something to do with it???

grifftech

Post by grifftech » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:14 pm

jereywolf wrote:I've been having a rough time with my PETG prints, stopping extrusion or jamming...

Even before a print, if I tell the machine to extrude manually, I can start the filament in, but then it will just stop; as if there is a tension problem (maybe too much, maybe not enough).
But if I push the filament by hand (in an effort to help it along) as the extruder gear is turning, it starts moving again just fine. I've started out 5 hour prints like and had them finish just fine, but I've also had a lot of air prints too.

It's happened with Natural and Black. Even directly after purging cleaner filament through the barrel and soaking the nozzle in paint stripper over night.

I also think that my only functional V4 may be slightly bent from a time that I removed the nozzle while it was still on the machine....maybe that has something to do with it???
Dude I am having the same issue with the blue. It starts the first layer fine but after a bit it clogs and the extruder starts skipping. So I kill the print and raise the nozzle and send an extrude command it skips a couple times then a blob comes out and the filament comes pouring out. I then load up the PET+ from MadeSolid with the same settings and it prints wonderfully. I guess "you get what you pay for" holds true in this scenario for me