Printing Speed ??

General discussion topics
colin

Printing Speed ??

Post by colin » Sat May 24, 2014 7:46 pm

I am able to get some great looking prints as long as I have my speeds ~1400mm/min. As soon as I try printing around the default 4800 mm/min. The picture of the complete print is at ~1400 and the ones I stopped because the seam is terrible are printed at 4800mm/min. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there something else I can change to be able to get good quality at faster speeds?
Attachments
image-26.jpeg
(555.16 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
image-27.jpeg
(579.99 KiB) Downloaded 450 times

jimc

Re: Printing Speed ??

Post by jimc » Sun May 25, 2014 6:04 pm

colin, if you dont have coasting on and or a neg restart distance i dont know why your start and stops are short like that causing gaps. only thing i have seen causing anything like that is a hotend thats getting tight and needs cleaning but if i remember right you did all that? looks like your using silver filament. i dont know if your brand does it but my silver i have here is excellent quality but extrudes very strange and if i dont keep it flowing through the hotend it clogs and causes big problems. you should be able to get clean prints at 4800 no problem. looking at your picture again, are those gaps or blobs?

colin

Post by colin » Fri May 30, 2014 8:39 pm

I have cleaned out the hot end and am not having issues with that. I'm using Ultimachine silver PLA. They are blobs, not gaps. It's weird, and frustrating, that at 4800 I can't get clean prints. i have to go VERY slow to get them to look clean.

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri May 30, 2014 9:27 pm

Colin, try turning coasting on and using a negative restart distance. Turn on explicit layer start location to gather up your layer starts into one seam to make it easier to see what differences your changes make. Cylindrical objects are the worst case, there's nowhere to hide.

I've also heard that Cura handles seam hiding differently (and better), although I have not tried it myself. You may want to give it a shot.