Networking

General discussion topics
Dale Reed

Re: Networking

Post by Dale Reed » Tue May 20, 2014 3:47 am

jimc wrote:huh, you think that might be just a tad overkill for a personal home computer lol. definitely a cool setup. i am no one to talk believe me. im just as bad when it comes to my home audio setup. of course that will dim the lights in the house when i crank that.
I want to be there when you play "Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who (rock power chord supreme) or a good DDD copy of Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (actually, either: BWV565 or the Dorian) by JSBach, played well on a good pipe organ. Do you jiggle the seismographs at Rutgers?

Of course, when I was younger, we did an electrogalvanizing line for a steel mill --- 32 "rectifiers" each providing 18 VDC at 23,000 Amps (that's 23 kA, that's not a European decimal point!) --- 736 kA total. Lights in the generral Dayton / Middletown / Cincinnati area would get a bit brighter when we e-stop that load during testing....

Have you ever had the metal frame of your briefcase twist in your hand when you walked over a group of busbars? Also wiped the mag stripes on my credit cards.
Dale

sprior

Post by sprior » Tue May 20, 2014 4:18 am

I love overkill. In this case since programming computers is the day job that pays for toys like 3D printers I've found the educational spinoff value in doing this has made it worthwhile. Building this has made me think about how to solve problems that I didn't know existed before.

markb

Post by markb » Tue May 20, 2014 4:52 am

Ok very cool, my file attachment looks good now.
Thanks for your help on this it really is a very good solution.
I love the time line I know when it is going to finish. Viewing this across the network or on my phone while away from the printer is great.
Attachments
printDone.jpg
printDone.jpg (35.69 KiB) Viewed 12280 times

Capt. John

Post by Capt. John » Wed May 21, 2014 5:41 am

Cisco's Network Magic takes all the gremlins out of networking windows machines, printers, scanners, etc.
Only issue is configuring the firewall/anti-virus programs to let files thru.
Think it was about 50 bucks for up to 6 machines and worth every cent I paid for it.

Not sure why so many want to network/remote control their machines. To me this is just asking
for trouble with a hot end easily capable of 240C that's 464F, not far from the flash point of paper.

When my printer is running I want to be in the general vicinity.
Can see uses for a web cam if a print heads south.
Capt. John
Manistee, Michigan
Reel Amateur at 3D printing
Fishing Tackle Manufacturer & Webmaster for:
http://www.michiganangler.com
http://www.michigansportsman.com

sprior

Post by sprior » Wed May 21, 2014 5:45 am

I'm not as interested in providing access to my M2 from outside my house. However the printer is in the basement and I'd rather design and prepare things from the comfort of my family room and also keep track of how the print is going without running down there all the time. The Raspberry Pi also makes for a cheap and low power controller so I don't have to tie up my laptop or keep a less efficient machine running connected to the printer.

markb

Post by markb » Wed May 21, 2014 6:15 am

I don’t want to tie up my powerful laptop I prepare the prints with. So far I have found the Raspberry Pi SD is fine to print from so it is nice to not mess with the SD card in the printer. Files upload fast ti the Pi.
The time left to print is right on so I know when it will be done.
My boys can check on the prints with their kindles. I run duel monitors so I just keep the webcam in the right comer on my right monitor.

I will set up VPN so when we go out to dinner and I have a long print I can check on it. If it has going bad I can just cancel it.

My house is networked I can turn on and off the lights from my cell phone why not my printer.
My printer just emailed me and I started another print it is all good.

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed May 21, 2014 7:08 am

From something I read recently, it makes me think if you power the RaspberryPi directly from the RAMBo, or from the same power supply, it may have other benefits as well. You know how sometimes a print can pause if printing over USB until something times out and it starts up again, leaving an ugly melted spot? The contention is that is caused by ground loops, which go away if you share a ground.

Although, I haven't had any communications failures since I put my computer and the M2 on the same power strip.

j-rod

Post by j-rod » Thu May 22, 2014 1:33 am

Do you guys notice high cpu usage on the raspberry when viewing the webcam tab? My girlfriend had left her browser on that page as I was printing something last night, and the pi wasn't able to keep up with sending all the commands to the printer when it would hit all the curves on the outlines of the part, which would in turn cause the print to slow waaaaaay down. Once I closed the page on her computer the cpu usage dropped and everything was fine.

markb

Post by markb » Thu May 22, 2014 1:39 am

I left the web cam up yesterday for a little more than 18 hours of printing I did not have any issues.

j-rod

Post by j-rod » Thu May 22, 2014 1:41 am

is yours wired or wireless? maybe i was hitting the bw limit of the usb bus. mine was networked via wireless usb nic at the time.