Need Help with Viki 2.0 and RAMBO 1.1b

General discussion topics
format13

Need Help with Viki 2.0 and RAMBO 1.1b

Post by format13 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:52 am

Good Evening!

I have an older M2 with the RAMBO 1.1b. Does anyone have the correct firmware for this? They have Marlin firmware, but I assume it needs to be modified to work with the M2?

Just wondering before I spend a bunch of time diving through code to get this to work.

Thanks in advance!

insta

Re: Need Help with Viki 2.0 and RAMBO 1.1b

Post by insta » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:54 am

Ugh, stick with the older firmware. i've had nothing but (subtle) problems with the newer Marlin builds. If you're going to modify code, use the stuff MakerGear posts on their website.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

format13

Post by format13 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:04 am

I found the code for the original Viki on the Makergear site, my plan right now is to merge the relevant code from the Viki 2.0 firmware to Makergear's firmware. Ill upload it when/if I get it running.

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:09 am

Besides the skipped steps, what other issues have you seen? Ed is up with the latest Marlin, from his blog, and he's not seeing any issues.

I'm holding off until they put in the JKN Advance acceleration planning.

insta

Post by insta » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:24 am

jsc wrote:Besides the skipped steps, what other issues have you seen? Ed is up with the latest Marlin, from his blog, and he's not seeing any issues.

I'm holding off until they put in the JKN Advance acceleration planning.
Ed's either a lying bastard or really lucky ;)

It was just skipped steps, but I couldn't pinpoint the reason why. It wasn't just the M2 either, I have another printer using the same size steppers for motion (an H-bot, so a totally different gantry) and both of them would skip steps in X occasionally. All 3 printers would do it reliably unreliably...

Changing to older Marlin with identical acceleration & jerk made it all go away completely overnight, no mechanical changes. Yes, the RAMBo stepper current was the same.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

PcS

Post by PcS » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:08 am

format13 wrote:Good Evening!

I have an older M2 with the RAMBO 1.1b. Does anyone have the correct firmware for this? They have Marlin firmware, but I assume it needs to be modified to work with the M2?

Just wondering before I spend a bunch of time diving through code to get this to work.

Thanks in advance!
I`m wondering if the viki 1.0 marlin makergear fork could work for 2.0 viki ? I looked at this briefly and it looked like it was tested with rambo version 1.3....which is what i have. And confirmed to work ? I decided to go octoprint with a pi instead though !!! http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-lcd-panel will this not work ?

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:50 pm

insta wrote:Ed's either a lying bastard or really lucky ;)
The latter is definitely true, but you wouldn't believe anything I have to say about the former... [grin]

If motor step timing was a general problem with the new Marlin code, we'd see a firestorm of problem reports on GitHub. Those folks run just about all the configurations you can imagine (and a few I can't), so it gets a good workout.

There's nothing quite like changing the software to bring out a latent hardware problem, though.

On my M2, (I think) changing the steppers from 19 V to 24 V induced glitches in the Y (and maybe Z) endstop cables when the steppers powered up. My (highly customized) start G-Code moves Z down, then homes Y, so enabling the steppers with M17 and waiting for half a second before the moves made that problem Go Away.

Other than that, Marlin 1.0.2 has been rock-solid.

format13

Post by format13 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:14 am

PcS wrote: I`m wondering if the viki 1.0 marlin makergear fork could work for 2.0 viki ? I looked at this briefly and it looked like it was tested with rambo version 1.3....which is what i have. And confirmed to work ? I decided to go octoprint with a pi instead though !!! http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-lcd-panel will this not work ?
I'm 99% sure it wont as the Viki 1.0 used I2C and the New Viki 2.0 is on SPI - two completely different protocols. Kind of frustrating it wasn't cross compatible, and now it just needs even more wires.

PcS

Post by PcS » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:19 am

The website info says support in marlin on rambo coming soon. Maybe drop panucatt a letter and beta test ?