printer stopped during printing

Ask the MakerGear community for assistance...
Ronnien55

printer stopped during printing

Post by Ronnien55 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:34 pm

this has happened twice now, S3D continued to preview however the the communication window was running fast and this is what it was repeating:
RECEIVED: ok
SENT: G1 X136.077 Y193.643 E7.7918
SENT: G1 X137.192 Y192.873 E7.8359
SENT: G1 X135.53 Y191.211 E7.9122
RECEIVED: Printer stopped deu to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set it before restarting)
RECEIVED: Printer stopped deu to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set it before restarting)
SENT: G1 X136.958 Y190.262 E7.9679
SENT: G1 X138.598 Y191.903 E8.0432
SENT: G1 X140.004 Y190.932 E8.0987
SENT: G1 X138.385 Y189.314 E8.173

Can someone shed some light, i was not at the printer when this happened.

Ronnien55

Re: printer stopped during printing

Post by Ronnien55 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:47 pm

there must be a bad wire in the bundle. when i heat up to temp and then swing the extruder along the x-axis it shuts down:
SENT: M105
RECEIVED: ok T:221.6 /220.0 B:33.7 /0.0 @:27
RECEIVED: Error:0
RECEIVED: : Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered !
RECEIVED: Error:Printer stopped deu to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set it before restarting)
RECEIVED: ok T:0.0 /0.0 B:33.3 /0.0 @:0
RECEIVED: ok T:219.9 /0.0 B:33.7 /0.0 @:0
RECEIVED: ok T:218.7 /0.0 B:33.7 /0.0 @:0
RECEIVED: ok T:217.4 /0.0 B:33.7 /0.0 @:0
RECEIVED: ok T:216.0 /0.0 B:33.7 /0.0 @:0

anyone seen this?

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue May 12, 2015 12:14 am

intermittent connection of the thermistor wires either at the thermistor or in the harness.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue May 12, 2015 12:20 am

Ronnien55 wrote:RECEIVED: : Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered !
That indicates a broken wire in the extruder thermistor cable: open circuit = low temperature fault.

The break can be anywhere, but recent experiences suggest starting at the thermistor itself.

Turn off the power, unplug the extruder thermistor, then measure the resistance between the two connector pins. If it's around 100 kΩ, that's good. If it's much, much higher, that's bad. If it's much, much lower, you've shorted the two wires together; that's bad.

If the problem isn't at the thermistor, check the continuity of the wires from the other side of that connector to the RAMBo board. Unplug the connector from the board and verify that each wire measures close to 0.0 Ω; in this case, more than a few ohms is a Bad Sign. Remember: open circuit = broken wire = low temperature fault.

You should also wiggle & jiggle the thermistor / wires while measuring the resistance, because (as you've seen) the failure depends on the exact wire position. Gently, of course, but move them around.

If the thermistor has failed, order two spares, so you'll be ready the next time...

Ronnien55

Post by Ronnien55 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:08 am

ednisley wrote:
Ronnien55 wrote:RECEIVED: : Extruder switched off. MINTEMP triggered !
That indicates a broken wire in the extruder thermistor cable: open circuit = low temperature fault.

The break can be anywhere, but recent experiences suggest starting at the thermistor itself.

Turn off the power, unplug the extruder thermistor, then measure the resistance between the two connector pins. If it's around 100 kΩ, that's good. If it's much, much higher, that's bad. If it's much, much lower, you've shorted the two wires together; that's bad.

If the problem isn't at the thermistor, check the continuity of the wires from the other side of that connector to the RAMBo board. Unplug the connector from the board and verify that each wire measures close to 0.0 Ω; in this case, more than a few ohms is a Bad Sign. Remember: open circuit = broken wire = low temperature fault.

You should also wiggle & jiggle the thermistor / wires while measuring the resistance, because (as you've seen) the failure depends on the exact wire position. Gently, of course, but move them around.

If the thermistor has failed, order two spares, so you'll be ready the next time...
measured wires from Rambo board they are good. Temp sensor is reading 70.2 and lower when you move the wire around. Well looks like i will be ordering a couple of those. Do you know what the heater cartridge should read? mine is reading about 23 ohms.

Ronnien55

Post by Ronnien55 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:11 pm

roshedwardd wrote:If there are no error messages pointing you to the problem, check to be sure that the printer is still connected, via USB or Ethernet cable or—if a wireless model—that the Wi-Fi is enabled and that you're connected to the right network. The printer driver and software needs to be installed on the computer you want to print from. It's possible that the driver has become corrupted; it should be reinstalled; check the manufacturer's download page for the latest version. If it still doesn't work, check out the troubleshooting section in the printer's User Manual, and if need be, contact tech support.
USB is fine and I am using a MAC Desktop pro for 6 months. I have never had any issues or required any special drivers to run my M2 from my Mac. I am replacing the wiring harness when I return from China. i found that when i move the wiring harness around at the extruder the temp reading goes all over the place.

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Fri May 15, 2015 3:56 pm

NOTE: This line in the received communications:
... indicates to me that it is the BED thermistor circuit that is open. Check where the wires flex at the back of the bed. There are two big red wires for the power to the bed heater, and two tiny black wires for the thermistor circuit. If you unplug at the Rambo end and measure with an ohmmeter, you should see about 100k with the bed at room temperature.

MG support can get you a replacement thermistor, wired to the proper Molex connector. It sits in a crimp lug bolted to the bed and is not too difficult to replace. If the wire is broken on the harness side, MG can get you the Molex connector and crimp pins -- but if you don't have the crimping tool (who does?), it will take some fine work with pliers -- and I would solder those wires as well -- to not mess up the pin so it inserts properly into the connector shell.

Interesting that the MINTEMP logic in the firmware will shut down for a BED thermistor open. But I guess that's probably the right thing to do. Better than winging a print that pops off the bed around while the print continues....

Dale

insta

Post by insta » Fri May 15, 2015 4:39 pm

Dale Reed wrote:NOTE: This line in the received communications:
... indicates to me that it is the BED thermistor circuit that is open. Check where the wires flex at the back of the bed. There are two big red wires for the power to the bed heater, and two tiny black wires for the thermistor circuit. If you unplug at the Rambo end and measure with an ohmmeter, you should see about 100k with the bed at room temperature.

MG support can get you a replacement thermistor, wired to the proper Molex connector. It sits in a crimp lug bolted to the bed and is not too difficult to replace. If the wire is broken on the harness side, MG can get you the Molex connector and crimp pins -- but if you don't have the crimping tool (who does?), it will take some fine work with pliers -- and I would solder those wires as well -- to not mess up the pin so it inserts properly into the connector shell.

Interesting that the MINTEMP logic in the firmware will shut down for a BED thermistor open. But I guess that's probably the right thing to do. Better than winging a print that pops off the bed around while the print continues....

Dale
Uh, it's more that it will prevent the firmware from dragging the bed up to 200C. The stock MG heater pad will get to 140C if you're patient, well over 160C if you insulate the underside of the bed. Who knows what kind of problems you'll start having at those temps. Plus, Marlin is a more generic firmware ... some people (ahem...) are dumb enough to use silicone mats on 120vac, like Voltron711111111147 and his 5kw heater, or my old MendelMax and its 600W heater, or my MechaPrusa and its 2500W of heaters... Those are legitimate fire hazards.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Fri May 15, 2015 8:37 pm

Sorry, guys, I read it wrong.

This M105 response line: RECEIVED: ok T:221.6 /220.0 B:33.7 /0.0 @:27
that I referred to earlier means that the nozzle measured temperature is 221.6 C, the nozzle temperature setpoint is 222.0 C, the bed temperature is 33.7 C, and the bed temperature setpoint is zero (bed heat hasn't been enabled yet). That line has both thermistors reading correctly.

HERE'S the line that indicates the problem: RECEIVED: ok T:0.0 /0.0 B:33.3 /0.0 @:0
This M105 response means the nozzle measured temperature is zero (open circuit), the nozzle temperature setpoint is zero (not set). The bed temperature is 33.3 C (reading OK) and the bed temp setpoint is zero (not set).

The first "T:0.0" indicates that the NOZZLE/EXTRUDER thermistor circuit is intermittently open. And, yes, the firmware will not allow extrusion if the nozzle temperature is less than 170 C (MINTEMP setting).

Apologies for misreading. I was paying more attention to work than what I was reading here (as expected by my employer), in case anybody asks!!!
Dale

Ronnien55

Post by Ronnien55 » Sat May 16, 2015 1:54 pm

thanks Dale, just read your posts, the bed was fine had just replaced last week. i found a bad wire to the extruder thermistor, i am in China at the moment and will replace upon my return. i will slow down my axis speeds. I did not see this problem till i started printing 23 hr parts, i had increased X-Y to 18000 and I think that it is what lead to the premature failure of the harness wire.